Welcome to Citizen Canine Dog Training
Serving the region in and around Boulder County, Colorado
Whether you have a brand new puppy or a dog of any age, experience the best dog training for you and your pet at Citizen Canine Dog Training! We offer one-on-one home training for dogs and puppies in and around Boulder County, Colorado, as well as dog and puppy group classes including K9 Nose Work®.
Got a puppy?
Make sure that you and your new family member get off to the best possible start.
- Puppy proof to keep unwanted behaviors from being learned.
- Reward your puppy for good decisions he or she makes.
- Teach your puppy to play fetch and tug.
- Enrich your puppy’s life with all kinds of experiences and interactions – just be sure they are positive ones!
- Teach your dog to love to learn. Sign up for a Puppy Class with Citizen Canine Dog Training or contact us for private instruction in your home!
Teaching our dogs certain behaviors we ask of them is a necessary part of owning a dog. With all the community restrictions and dog-related issues in and around Boulder County, it is more important and challenging than ever for us to meet our dogs’ needs, and to protect our dogs from themselves. The expectations our community has of what is acceptable dog behavior makes it all the more necessary that we have well-trained, well-adjusted dogs.
- Teach cued behaviors using reward-based clicker training, and then practice often.
- Get the instruction and support you need from Citizen Canine’s Foundation Dog Training class or contact us for private instruction in your home!
Got a problem behavior?
Coming up with a training plan to deal with problem behaviors must take into account several factors.
- Modifying the environment with respect to what triggers and reinforces the undesired behavior.
- Training an acceptable behavior that your dog would do instead, and seeing that this new one gets adequately reinforced.
- Taking into account any emotional component that may need attention through counter conditioning and desensitization.
- Taking into account the possibility of contributing medical issues that need to be addressed with the help of your vet.
- Contact us for our Private Consultation & Dog Training service!
Is your dog’s nose under-utilized?
K9 Nose Work ® provides companion and sport dogs an outlet for their natural hunting and scenting abilities. Inspired by the model of working detection dogs, K9 Nose Work ® classes engage dogs in the game of nose work and teach owners how to read their dogs and build a team relationship, all while having fun. Nose work has the added benefit of building self-confidence, reducing fears, and providing mental and physical exercise for dogs. For those who want to pursue a more intensive side of nose work, the NACSW offers titling trials in competitive K9 Nose Work ®.
- For more information about this exciting sport visit www.K9nosework.com.
- Sign up for a class with Citizen Canine Dog Training!
What’s my dog saying?
Have you ever wished you could better understand what your dog is feeling and communicating through body language? Wouldn’t it be nice to be skilled at reading an encounter between your dog and another and know whether or not it is friendly? Is one dog stressed, scared, appeasing, defensive, bullying, offensive, or socially challenged? What do you do if the interaction is dicey? How does your presence affect the encounter? Did you also know that dogs are reading your body language? What do they think you are “saying” and how can you communicate your true intent?
I teach a class through the Front Range Community College that addresses this very topic using numerous slides and videos. We will also cover barking – the meaning of different barks and what to do if it becomes a problem. I will also share with you the science behind dogs and learning. Research has come a long way in understanding this important topic, and it is an essential training component for those raising a dog.
- Please join me for a fun and educational evening!
- For more information and registration, visit www.frontrange.edu/Academics/Continuing-Education/.